NO DEPRESSION is more than just another "magazine." Each issue of No Depression is close to 100 pages of high quality, deep-digging, long-form music journalism augmented by exquisite photography and original illustration. Articles are written as frequently by your favorite roots musicians as they are by the finest reporters in the field. These journals feel more like coffee table books than your standard newsstand magazine. With each one exploring a specific theme, their stories are both timely and timeless. Get yours today!
THE NEW ISSUE: For a collection of genres based in traditions, roots music is always evolving. The “Movers & Shakers” issue will highlight leaders in the community — both in the spotlight and unsung — who continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible in roots music. Additionally, this theme will give special attention to the physical and bodily elements of music’s power to move us.
Included in this issue:
- Bonnie Raitt
- Woody Guthrie, Marjorie Mazia, and their relationship with modern dance
- Michael League (Snarky Puppy) and the burgeoning musical movement outside Barcelona
- Inside the nonprofit Decolonizing the Music Room and its debut live event, the Fort Worth African American Roots Music Festival, which featured Jake Blount, Kaia Kater, Ben Hunter, and Justin Robinson
- Donna the Buffalo and the 30th anniversary of their Finger Lakes GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance
- Dan Auerbach and the artistic ecosystem of Easy Eye Sound
- A series of short profiles highlighting musical organizations shaking up the industry, including RAMPD (Gaelyn Lea, Laachi), Reverb (Guster), and Backline
- Leyla McCalla
- Louis Michot
- Lee Bains & The Glory Fires
... And so much more!
- Original design by Marcus Amaker
- Original cover art by Ni Ma
- Photo essay of original images from the national tour of Lucy Negro, Redux, the ballet with a musical score by Rhiannon Giddens and Franceso Turrisi, courtesy of the Nashville Ballet